Europe | Galtur, Austria


From 13/01/18 to 20/01/18 I went on a skiing holiday with Jenny, her dad, brother and sister in Galtur, Austria. We travelled with Crystal Ski who would provide us with transfers, accommodation, 3 meals a day (3 courses at dinner too) and all else we needed for our stay. I think it was about £600 per person but for the standard of food we were given this was definitely cheaper than it would have been independently.


We flew from Edinburgh to Innsbruck and somehow managed to swing an exit row for that added 20cm of leg space for 6ft 3” me. Innsbruck is a cool airport, in the middle of a large, snowy valley. Definitely the right place to start to a ski holiday.


Day 1

On our first day we hired all our kit, or I did anyway, and managed to get a set of twin tips. We decided to just stay in Galtur to ski so we could find our ‘ski legs’ after over a year. Although much quieter than the Ischgl resort, it was just as beautiful. We took a bus to the lifts from our front door and enjoyed a wonderful sunny day of skiing. It got quite icy in the afternoon.

There was a really nice run down towards a massive frozen lake and then a pomma back up the hill. I did this repeatedly for a while. We went home for afternoon tea which consisted of cakes and savoury snacks. I then had a nap before indulging in a 10/10 five course dinner. The presentation and effort put into the food throughout the week was incredible. 


Day 2

We decided to venture down to Ischgl and so got the bus. After a massive morning-rush of a queue, we got to the top of the gondola. From the top we took a number of lifts and runs before a nice long, slow run through the trees and down into Switzerland. The border had a ski-through duty free shop – my first time seeing one of those! 

We had lunch (frankfurst and chips, of course) and got the bus back, had another awesome dinner later and played gin rummy. 


Day 3

We stayed in Galtür again and with a fresh dump of snow the powder was epic. Visibility was quite poor this day, and I went the wrong way at one point, missing the turning. I decided not to walk all the way back up and took a few pommas and lifts to meet back up with the others. We had more sausage and chips for our lunch stop and continued hitting the off piste powder alllllll dayyyy. I put my skis in to be waxed later on and we played more gin rummy.


Day 4

All slopes and lifts were closed. Winds and snow levels were too high. We had a lie in and went for brunch at the local bakery which was heavin’. The snow was torrential and didn’t stop all day. Me and Jenny went to the supermarket for munchies and there was a live band who were yodelling at dinner.


Day 5

We skied in Galtur again and had a very busy day of skiing. The highest lift opened after lunch and we were at the front of the queue to shred the pow. There was a mad rush to get on the first lift because it was all untouched, fresh snow on a black run. It was epic. Me and Duncan did this run about 5 times in a row.


Day 6

Duncan and I spent the whole of our last day off-piste. Pretty much all lines led back to the main chairlift so wherever you went took you home. Finding a line through the trees in knee-deep snow, what could be better. 

We all went to an apres-ski bar and later Jenny was crowned the champion of gin rummy. We packed and had our last unreal dinner.


Day 7

After breakfast we got a coach to transfer to Innsbruck airport and were home by 11pm.